European (EU/EEA) students

Citizens from the European Union and Eropean Free Trade Associaton countries do not need a visa or residence permit to stay in The Netherlands.

Non-European (Non-EU) students


Citizens of non-EU countries who would like to stay in the Netherlands for a period longer than 3 months have to obtain a visa to enter the Netherlands and a residence permit. VHL will apply for a visa on your behalf; you should not start procedures yourself as this will delay the process. The Dutch Immigration and Naturalisation Service (IND) will assess your application for a residence permit and inform you about the decision within approximately three weeks.

You will need to supply us with the following documents:

  • Copy of a valid passport (all pages with stamps)
  • Proof of insurance *
  • Filled and signed Antecedents form and if applicable filled and signed Tuberculosis form**

* Every student needs to hold a valid insurance while staying in the Netherlands. If you already have a private insurance that will cover your medical expenses during your stay, please provide us with a proof of your insurance. We will only start the visa procedure when your application (including payment of tuition fees, insurance fees, visa fees and IND norm if applicable) is complete within the deadlines. 

**To obtain a residence permit, most non-EU students must be prepared to undertake a tuberculosis test and – if  necessary – treatment. VHL staff members will arrange your Xray appointments within 3 months of arrival and assist you with this procedure.

You can find more information about insurances on the websites of AON and information about visa in the folder of IND.

Study Progress Monitor
As a part of the Dutch Immigration Law, VHL is obliged to inform the IND every year about the study progress of non-EU students. This is called the Study Progress Monitor: a student with a residence permit based on study must complete at least 50% of the study load per academic year. If you do not meet this requirement, the IND can revoke your residence permit, which means you have to return to your home country.

Register at the local municipality

EU as well as non-EU students have to register at the local municipality within five days of their arrival. This is what you need to bring with you to register:

  • Passport 
  • Proof of address in the Netherlands (e.g. rental contract) 
  • Only for non-EU students: your Dutch residence permit (recommended), your passport with visa stamp (MVV)