Arriving in Holland

Upon receipt of full payment of your tuition fees, we will finalise your admittance and notify you of this decision. After completing your application, you will be able to start preparing your journey to the Netherlands before the start of your programme.


You have to arrange transport by yourself but, of course, we are happy to help you along a bit:

Please check for additional information and important links on the travel instructions to Leeuwarden page or the travel instructions to Velp (Arnhem) page.

Naturally, you can always contact us if you have questions on how to arrange your transport. We are glad to help out.

Are you an OKP Scholarship student?
In that case, travel to the Netherlands is included in your scholarship coverage and your flight will be arranged for you by VHL University of Applied Sciences (VHL). You will be contacted via email with more information.


This Practical guide to living in the Netherlands is useful tool for preparing your journey to the Netherlands, including a list of items to prepare before and after your arrival.

Registration at the local municipality

All new residents of the Netherlands need to register at the local municipality within five days of arriving. The required documents may differ per municipality and per country of origin and you may need to prepare your documentation before your arrival.

Documents checklist:

  • Passport – mandatory
  • Proof of residence in the Netherlands (rental contract) - mandatory
  • Birth certificate – optional, depending on the municipality

All municipalities ask you to bring your passport (or ID for EU students).
You also have to prove you have an address in the Netherlands, usually on the basis of your housing contract. 

In certain cases, Dutch municipalities may ask international students to bring an original and certified copy of their birth certificate, especially if you intend to stay in the Netherlands for more than one year. If your birth certificate is not issued in Dutch, English, French or German, you will also need to provide a certified translation.

Legalisation of your birth certificate

If your home country has signed the Apostille Convention, you must have your birth certificate affixed with an Apostille by the designated authority in your country. Please check the list of treaty signatories
If your country has not signed the Apostille Convention, we recommend you contact the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in the country where the birth certificate was issued. You can also check the information on the website of the Dutch embassy in your country or the website of the Dutch Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

Bank account

Upon arrival you will need to open a bank account in the Netherlands. It is required to keep your money safe, pay your rent, buy a mobile phone, or for example receive the wages of your student job. Please read more information about Bank account

If you have any questions, please send an e-mail to